Homesickness is common during the early stages of an au pair placement, but in most cases passes quickly.
Here’s what we recommend:
- Ensure the au pair receives a warm welcome & include the au pair as part of your family/in typical family activities
- Show her/him around the local area and suggest places she can visit for leisure/to meet new people
- If you have friends/neighbours who also have an au pair, please put them in touch
- Help your au pair to keep in touch with her friends and family back home via Skype
- Communicate fully with your au pair throughout the placement
- At any point you can contact Smartaupairs for further support. It would be great if you could let us know if you are worried about your au pair so we know to keep a closer eye on how he/she is settling in.
- If there is an au pair who is homesick - we ensure they receive additional follow up and support from our team!