Homestay in China
Become an English Tutor in China
Are you looking for a Gapyear with a difference ?
Interested in Chinese Culture?
Or perhaps you always wanted to learn Mandarin Chinese but never got past "ni hao"?
Do you enjoy working with children?
If you answered yes to the above, the au pair / tutor program in China may be just what you are looking for!
Our au pair/live in tutor program is for young British , Australian, New Zealand and European nationals looking for a cultural exhange experience in China. If you are not a native English speaker, a high standard of English is required (above B2 level).
No prior knowledge of Chinese language is however required, just an open mind and willingness to learn, as you will take part in Mandarin Chinese language lessons during your stay.
The host families are generally highly educated people who are keen that their child or children should have contact with fluent English language speakers. Most of the host families live in or near Beijing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Shenzhen. The knowledge of English language is held in very high regard and the host families also understand the value of exposing children to new cultures from a young age - and this is where YOU come in! :)
The program offers you a safer way to travel - you will have an agency both in Europe AND in China to support and guide you - and unlike many other gapyear programs, you do not have to have a huge bank balance to apply. There are NO application fees and most of your travel costs are also covered by your host family.
The host family in China will cover your full English tuition costs and you will also receive the visa application and most of your flight cost back when you finish your stay (min. 3 months). The total flight contribution will depend on how long you will stay with the family, but for 6 month stays, you can expect the contribution to cover a full normal cost return flight to Shanghai/Beijing.
So What Are the Requirements to Become a Tutor/ Au Pair in China?
- Age 18 - 28 years
- Be a native English speaker or European nationality with fluent English
- Have completed your secondary education (high school, a levels or equal)
- Clean Medical Check
- Clean Police Check
- Enjoy Working with Children
- Minimum stay 3 months
And What Does the Program Include?
- Full support by our agency in England and China, including 247 emergency line
- Private bedroom in a host family home
- 3 daily Meals
- Mandarin Chinese Classes
- Monthly Cultural activities
- Visa invitation letter and guidance
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Pre-departure and arrival orientation
- Welcome pack
- Pocket money: 1500 - 2,000 RMB/month.
- Subject to full agreed stay - and before you return home, the family will also pay for your visa costs AND provide a contribution torwards your flight, depending on how long you stay.
- Language and culture exchange: you will be the "big sister or brother" to your host child(ren) and speak with them in English to help them
- You help share the light housework (nearly all families also have a housekeeper for cleaning)
Each host family is different, so the au pair’s responsibilities will vary depending on the different family.
Room and Board
The host family provides the au pair a comfortable private room. The room is completely furnished with bed, closet, table, chair, access to Internet, etc. As a family member, you have meals with the family. If you have a special diet, please inform the family before your arrival. The family would be aware of it.
Working hours, free days and vacation
The au pair shall be permitted to work no more than 30 hours per week, in exchange for board, lodging and an allowance.
The au pair shall be entitled to no less than one and a half free days per week.
The au pair shall be entitled to 3 days paid holiday every 3 months and the au pair shall discuss with the host family any arrangements for holidays at least 2 weeks in advance.
So what's the difference between tutoring, homestay and au pair?
We use all of these terms, however the China program is much more based on English tuition to the child(ren). So the priority is on helping your host child to improve their English through day to day interactions.
If you have any questions what so ever, our friendly team is at hand to help - just ping us an e-mail or give us a call :)